Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Unforgettable Hero


This post is about a man who made me understand the virtues of being a human. My dad. I am clueless as to where to start when my mind is swimming in an ocean of beautiful memories.

The oldest memory of my dad would be back in Bahrain when we were tiny tots. He would take us out of our tiny abode and buy us ice-cream cones and we would stand in the street licking it to glory. Whenever he came home from work he would carry a bag of goodies for all 3 of us. Then all of us would sit cross legged in a circle and eat our dinner, laughing, talking or joking. When we had our summer vacations, there would be a ring on the door bell with a parcel of hot sandwiches waiting for us. Even after I got married, he would visit me frequently carrying a bag of my favorite pastries. I can still imagine the sly smile on his face when he unwraps little surprises for us. His eyes would sparkle with happiness looking at our delight. Seeing us happy was all he ever lived for. He always taught us these old proverbs and sayings. Yes, it used to bore us to death but now it all makes sense when he is not there.

He would ride on his Karizma and end up with his hair standing funny. I used to ride with him to the fields, colleges, shops holding him smelling the scent of his shirt. How I miss those precious days. He never used to accept the fact that he was old. He always believed he was strong and he truly was. 

He even had nicknames for all of us. Mine was 'newdles'- a mixture of noodles and needles highlighting my thin frame. I still remember the times me and my siblings used to make fun of him so bad. He never took anything to his heart and would retaliate with equal ferocity. We all would end up rolling with laughter. There were sour times too but it just made us bond all the more.

The thing about him that was so remarkable was his caring and generous heart. He would do anything for people in need, never thinking twice. I remember an incident in which a beggar was standing in my neighbor’s house. My dad was just about to start the bike when he saw a dog charging towards the poor fellow. He quickly went and shooed the dog away and told the beggar to be careful. I know it might sound so irrelevant to others but it made my dad look like a hero to me. I love his humility though he did take pride in things that needed it.

My mom, brother, sister and myself are here today because of him. He was like a friend to us. I can never imagine otherwise. The feel of his rough hard-toiled hands, his sweet wicked smile, and his funny tag names for all of us will always be alive in me. Though tears well up each and every day I think of him, I know he is peaceful and safe in my God's hands. 

“Happy Birthday Daddy...” We love you and miss you too… a lot...more than any word in this entire world could ever describe.

7 comments:

  1. I wish him a good bday and I know he is looking down on all of you and he must be so proud of what he is seeing..His 3 kids have turned into wonderful adults, just what all dad's wish for. I know you guys make him proud everyday. Keep him alive always within you by remembering him in all his sweet ways. Live well and make him even the more prouder. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot myths... for your love and support... always cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well written Gibsy, you guys have been so strong through everything and making your daddy proud and you're right he is safe in our God's hands and you will see him one day. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do hope to see him.. Thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and sweet write up for your dad. He maybe smiling reading this now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seriously do hope he smiles....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful & heartwarming, your dad sounds wonderful...

    ReplyDelete