Friday, March 25, 2011

Grow Up!


Growing up is something I hate. I wish I was like Peter Pan who never grew up and who basically did not want to shoulder the painful responsibilities the world had to offer. I wish I could go back in time and stay right there.

I remember the days when I used to wish that I would finish my schooling fast and why was that? So that I could stop doing homework. Yeah, that was lame. Then I wanted to finish college real soon because I couldn’t stand college – OK this is a valid reason.  Then I was stubborn that I wanted to work and now I whine when I am dead tired while reaching my doorstep.

So why is it painful to grow up? Is it solely because of responsibilities or the fact that the world doesn’t look rainbow colored as we were brought up to believe while singing nursery rhymes? The naïve life that we lived isn’t there anymore. I used to cry when I see birds dying or fishes floating lifeless till I was 14. I thought that it was the worst thing that could happen in one’s life and oops… I was wrong. Now, I have seen live scenarios of people getting hurt. They sure did never teach us to be prepared for all this while we were kids.

I thought my fourth grade friend stealing my favorite pink Minnie mouse pen was the worst sin anyone could commit but had I known how people can backstab, I would have gladly given my friend a box of pink Minnie mouse pens. We were protected from all that’s bad in this world but eventually we learn it or experience it one way or the other.

Maybe this was why God forbade Adam and Eve to eat the fruit of knowledge; to keep them happier but like me and everyone else in this world, they just wanted to “know” stuff.  I am sure after that mistake they probably wished to turn back time too.

It’s not like I laugh now when I see birds or dogs dying, but I have learnt to deal with it. I learnt to harden myself and not be foolish and naïve. I mean we’re living in a world that is filled with terrorism, child trafficking, poverty and wars - not Barney the friendly, purple dinosaur dancing around singing 'I love you'. It’s true that I miss the good ol' days cycling on a four-wheeled cycle wearing a petticoat and getting balls of rice fed to me by my mom, but one day whether we like it or not, we have to accept the fact that life must go on.  Unless we grow up and learn to face the world, I don't think we will ever be able to protect our children and give them the courage to move up in life.

8 comments:

  1. Nice article Gibsy... Even me too think about this several times.... Is it possible to go back to our school/college/childhood life...we never cared about the future on that stage.... but mow once we grown, we are getting more responsibilities....

    we shouldn't go back..but we can go forward with that new things called future/responsibility...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Sreejith... thinking about going back itself is partly cowardice.. I do that several times.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Gibsyma,
    You have very nicely presented one face of realities of life. Yes, I fully agree that children are taught the true faces of life rather than portraying the good things alone while they are young. They should be prepared for life.
    Aunty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking to go back to childhood will only get you to limbo, its not practically possible anyway... so how do you do it.. Enjoy the company of children... you inevitably grow YOUNG when they are around! dance, sing, trek and what not, no ones gonna stop you but you!.. take a break girl.. ! you ought to go on a vacation.. i think you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, childhood was bliss... growing up not so much. There's this song in the Sound of Music, 'I am sixteen'... sung by a very beautiful girl. We (the cousins) used to sing that and dream of being sixteen, good old days. Life is weird, the grass always seems greener on the other side...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grow Up Gurl !!!

    The world can never be Disney land. This is probably the effect of watchin too many cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish I could go back to my college days, too! When friends were real, and laughter was sincere. When people never said one thing and meant something else, and no matter how much bakery food you ate you never got fat! Heck I would trade final semester exams for the present life, any day!

    Nice post, Gibsy! Some beautiful thoughts in this post... and yes, running around playing, while mommy feeds us rice balls will always remain my best childhood memory...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol.. Thanks for stopping by Jane!

    ReplyDelete