Friday, May 6, 2011

I want to be a....

I just overhead my aunt asking her child the question which we all must have heard at least once from someone in life - what do you want to be when you grow up? This got my tiny brain thinking and I was like - wait a minute - I never wanted to be what I am today. So what did I really want to be. Well, a lot of things since I am a totally indecisive kind of person.

I wanted to be a teacher when I was eight years old. I loved the way the teachers in my school used to scrape their chalk piece on the board and that too with beautiful, colorful chalk pieces. I was madly in love with this profession that my younger sister was often a victim of my fake-class by being a student surrounded by dolls who were sitting on chairs. I would wrap a bed sheet around myself (supposed to be the sari) and start taking classes on my terrace door - which served its purpose of being a blackboard. Sadly, my love for teachers or should I say chalk pieces diminished such that after two years I wanted to be a nun.

Don't ask me why. Its just that I wanted to wear that hood-like thing on the head and not marry anyone. I loved Mother Teresa and maybe I was simply fascinated by movies where they dress up like that and got to eat a lot of that communion bread stuff (which by the way I was dying to eat tat time because I wanted to know what it tasted like and my parents told I had to wait for it).

When I was 13, my sole aim in life was to become a veterinary doctor because I simply loved animals (by animals I only thought of cats and dogs - not cows and hens). I used to watch BBC where they would show these documentaries with doctors in their neat blue gowns helping dogs, cats, horses (No, I did not see them helping cows or hens) on clean tables and I was like, wow that would be me someday.  I spent my vacation that year in India and saw a man shoving his hand deep down into a cow's butt. I started laughing and thinking why would anyone do that and my grandma told those are veterinary doctors. At the speed of light my ambition changed - I wanted to be an air-hostess.

I love traveling so I thought I can fly all over the world and get paid for it as well. Unfortunately I developed a fear after seeing the number of plane crashes and I totally get worked up when the flight lands so my mind settled for being an engineer. An engineer is what I am today though I really don't know anything about it. Yeah, I don't even know how to fix a simple wire connection like my husband says - so much for struggling 4 years in a horrible college. Well, I'm thinking now... I love architecture, painting and designing... Maybe I should be an interior designer? :P

                                     

8 comments:

  1. Hey, I was kinda the same... I wanted to be an astronaut first, then I wanted to be a painter (the ones that paint houses and not portraits, was fascinated with the brush and the colours), then I wanted to marry the owner of Landmark (was that crazy bout books)... eventually I became an engineer too, with the same awful college and absolutely no practical experience. And I keep thinking I would make a good interior designer too, or those people who do makeovers for folks who dress poorly... sometimes when I see people wearing clothes that don't flatter them, I feel like telling them to try a style that more suits them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True da...I too thought of becoming a doctor,that is because my grandma used to see a astrologer that time,he told that I will become a doctor it seems.I thought like “OMG that’s Great - I am going to become a DOCTOR.So I was dreaming about that all time,but when I went to 8th std and opened the science book,my head started to spin..But I still I had the confident that even if I don’t study too I will become a doctor one day and it went as a dream till now..LOOK AT ME NOW....HE HE...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. U should now aspire to be a good mother ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Karen: Hey .. astronaut was in my list too but just for a while.. I wanted to marry someone in Pizza-Hut because I was nuts about pizzas!!

    @Aarthi: I know.. what to do .. destiny has different plans.. You should have become this cookery show host or something :D

    And Gibson.. I shalt post thy comment later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. really good read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are eagerly awaiting for another interesting thread from you. Where are you ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember, when I was very young, I wanted to be a movie actress. I reckoned that was the only way anyone would let me wear make-up! Then I wanted to be an architect when I was in high school but someone told me I had to study math for that! Blech! No way! Then I wanted to be a journalist, and my dad told me that it's a dangerous job for women, and I won't be able to settle down.
    Now here I am with the ambition of becoming a famous blogger, and I think I myself am spoiling that ambition by posting once in a blue moon... Boo on me!
    Hey that cow and butt was so funny! HAHHAAH! yeah, that WOULD make anyone change their mind, no?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bunny - sorry but things have been keeping me BUSY lately.. will try being regular *fingers crossed*

    Jane - you wanted to be an actress so that you could put on makeup??? okay that's something I haven't heard before. Yes the cow and butt can totally rip off ambitions :P

    ReplyDelete