Saturday, July 16, 2011

R-E-L-A-T-I-V-E-S

There are so many things that I cant understand in this planet I live in and one among that is R-E-L-A-T-I-V-E-S. How did they evolve? Okay, this I know but things like - did they evolve with brains - is something that has made my mind wonder.

You ask me 12 years back about my relatives then I would proudly tell you that they are my family but now I feel that they are this weird bunch of people who just love to wreak havoc on people. Whenever we came from vacations relatives would throng our houses and my dad like the summer Santa Claus would fling all kinds of "Faareign" things to them. They will lift me and my siblings, pull our cheeks, kiss us and never let our feet rest on the ground. Sigh! It was magical. They would all camp in our house when we leave for the airport and cry with copious tears. All the drama... phew!

Then we came here for good. I was waiting for all the attention and affection and all but where did everyone go? Soon we started hearing things like we don't help, we don't care, we are selfish people and after all they (relatives) have done for us we hardly mind them. Yeah, it tickled my funny bone too.

Recently, my uncle and his family came from abroad, so we and the relatives clan went to see them. I saw history repeat itself when my aunties and uncles were cuddling my uncle's kids, pinching their cheeks and slobbering their saliva all over them. Ugh! I was sick.

That's not all. There is always comparisons as to- 'oh my kid studies better!' or 'look I've got a kid who doesn't have a boyfriend' or 'I have brought up my kids with such discipline!' or 'look at me - I am the best.' I am so tired of such ramblings that I grew immune to it now.

I do envy some of my friends families who have such amazing relatives - they are like this perfect, fun-loving family - being there for them through thick and thin. I don't know what went wrong where in my family lineage. I just hope that my child doesn't write a blog post like this on my brother or sister's kids.


2 comments:

  1. The nice relatives are few and scarce... and like you said after a while you grow immune to the others. That's how the word 'nonchalance' came to describe me... was even thinking of getting a T-shirt that says 'I'm amazed at my own nonchalance'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Nam used to tell me how you "adore" them :P

    ReplyDelete