Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Hitchhiker

After a long and deserving break, I am back to keep my blog on life support. Life seems to be spinning faster than the earth with the little monster, my MBA classes, office and weddings. When thinking what to write about, I thought I could write about the adventurous trips I had in Chennai for my classes. Well, I did not jump out of moving trains or fire bazookas but it was a story for me.

During August of last year, I was on the way to write my exams in Saveetha Engineering College in my brother's car at around 8:20 am. I believed I had enough time to reach the college by 10 am, which is when the exams start. As we were driving, there was a road block of some sort and we were stranded. I kept my calm since there was ample time to reach the college which was just a 10-minute drive away from where the car had stopped. The time ticked away to 9:40 and that was when I switched over to panic mode. There was a huge car line and I called my coordinator who simply said in Oxford English "You late 1 minute, not allowed for exam" beeeeeep (line dead). I sat thinking for a minute and like Archimedes, I sat up enlightened with a plan. I grabbed my books, opened the car door, ran across the divider like a crazy person on the highway amidst all the vehicles, and waved my hand for some passerby to stop. The bikes kept whizzing by but one kind guy in a helmet stopped and I asked him to drop me at the college. He gestured to hop on the bike and I did. We rode fast, zipping through the wrong side of the road, and he dropped me at the college entrance saying he was late for work. I thanked him genuinely, I don't even know how he looked like becase he wore a helmet.


Okay, so 4 minutes left. I quickly calculated and figured out that if I walk to my class from the entrance it would take at the least 10 minutes so I stopped another old dude in a moped to get a lift up until my exam block. Yes, by this time I got quite used to the idea of stopping and traveling with strangers. I thank him profusely and run to my hall. 

Sadly I was still late... and that too by just 2 FREAKING MINUTES due to which I had to write an apology letter! (it only happens in Anna University, trust me) Anyways, I wrote the exam and passed it as well. The day was super-eventful and funny but my husband did not find it funny at all. He started yapping about how I put my life in danger and how could I ever get on strangers bikes, how I needed to think with my brains, blah blah blah.

Well, I don't think there was anything practical to do than what I did, after all I have invested much of my energy, time and money to write my exams and what is life if you don't take risks, right?

2 comments:

  1. Quite an adventure... made me laugh! But hitching ride from strangers is a brave thing to do... are all your madras trips this eventful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of them are... with weird cab drivers and share-auto drivers... or maybe I am being too dramatic :P

    ReplyDelete